Wednesday 16 October 2019

The Things People Search For

How does your audience find you? It's an important question in my daily life as a science communicator, and it's no less important for this roleplaying blog. Most of my tiny circle of readers comes in from other rpg blogs, but a small minority finds me via google searches. Here's what they were looking for.

First though, here's something that really gave me a kick: being mentioned on a French language gaming forum (bac à sable = sandbox) for my posts on how PCs can spend their ludicrous wealth! (Not least because it turns out I can still read French.)


SEARCH KEYWORDS

(All time search keywords from the blogger interface.)

  • d&d death and dismemberment - I added some new ways to get hurt to this Death & Dismemberment table
  • dnd potionmakers lab - has to be because of this Labs & Libraries post. Damn, that would've been a way better title for it
  • dragonmarks 5e / greater dragonmark 5e / dragonmark of the sentinel 5e - in 2017 I was having a big fat Eberron vibe and I statted up its magical oligarchy tattoos for D&D 5th edition
  • glog wizards - you write ONE pyromancer...
  • sheet druid dnd 5e - closest thing I can think of are these cheat sheets for 5e backgrounds and classes to quickly throw together a character
  • the things we do for xp - the title of this blog, and also the topic of 1) posts on what to do with gold-for-XP-wealth and 2) on tying XP to information and curiosities brought back to a collector
  • amazon - beats me. I don't think I've ever written about Amazons or about Amazon 
  • fire fly jpgs for year five - did I use a firefly image somewhere? 
  • site:blogspot.com game language:en - "google! show me any English blog about gaming!" Surprise, suckers - this isn't even my first language. 
  • site:blogspot.com fire fighter memorial language:en - can't for the life of me. Maybe linked to one of the images in my pyromancer post?

3 comments:

  1. And I'm getting spam now! SO amazingly on the radar, I am. #chuffed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the french fan who mentioned you and your work on Casusno.
    There are only 2 straightforward reasons for that:
    - It's excellent work
    - I read your blog on a regular basis
    - You were the first to list my new blog (osrdread.blogspot.com) on your blog
    Wait that are 3 reasons! (shut up! and stop being so schizophrenic about it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Florent, thanks for reaching out! It honestly was a kick to see that link pop up in the sources section. Just like that first mention on other peoples' blogs, you know? The joy of knowing you're read.

      On that note, it was a pleasure to list OSR DREAD in my blogroll - it really deserves to be read. Good, thoughtful writing. I'm enjoying your bag of holding post right now. Well, when I finish writing this reply.

      ...the OCD part of my brain is going "but which two of those three reasons are straightforward or are there only two and I'm reading it wrong oh gods this is how Picard felt THERE ARE FIVE LIGHTS".

      So thanks for all those kind words :)

      Delete